24 September 1907, Alexander McGregor Museum (pictured) title deeds handed over.
24 September 1994, Griquas beat Western Transvaal 24-11 to win the Bankfin Cup.
DID YOU KNOW
It was on 24 September 1907 that the keys and title deeds of the Alexander McGregor Museum in Chapel Street were handed over to the management committee of the museum.
The museum building was made possible by a donation from Mrs McGregor, in memory of her late husband Alexander, a pioneer of the diamond town and a former Mayor (1886).
Designed by Fergus Carstairs Rogers, this attractive brick building with its intricate façade conforms closely to British norms for public buildings during the Victorian and Edwardian eras. With its neighbours, the Methodist Church and Manse, it forms one of the very few remaining urban groupings from Kimberley‘s past. Achille Bocciarelli, an Italian sculptor and owner of a local brickworks, sculpted the two reclining female figures on the pediment.
The museum’s first curator was Maria Wilman, a botanist and archaeologist, who was appointed in 1908 and who retired from the post in 1947.