1 June 1889, De Beers Consolidated Mines takes control of the Kimberley Mine.
1 June 1893, Anthony M Robeson appointed De Beers electrical engineer.
1 June 1896, A diamond weighing 503¼ carats found in the De Beers Mine.
1 June 1910, George Green leaves the DFA to start as Editor of the Cape Argus.
1 June 1925, Lt-Colonel T Ormiston (pictured) becomes OC the Kimberley Regiment.
DID YOU KNOW
Colonel Thomas Ormiston DSO VD was born on 21 October 1881 in Scotland, and died in Kimberley on 21 September 1961 shortly before his 80th birthday.
He was originally employed by the De Beers Company on 1 March 1901 as a Guard, but by 1 July 1902 was registered as “Staff” in the Estate Office.
He fought in German SWA in 1914/15 with the Kimberley Regiment, and was a Captain with the 1st SA Infantry Brigade in France. Ormiston was wounded at Marierres Wood, and posted as “Missing in Action” according to the Casualty List No 157 20/4/1918. Shortly thereafter he was reported as being a POW.
After the war ended he was repatriated, and was awarded the Distinguished Service Order for his services during the Great War. He was also awarded the Colonial Auxiliary Forces Officers’ Decoration (VD).
By 1923 he was Curator of the Kenilworth Village. In 1936 he was appointed as Farms Superintendent and by the time he retired in 1953 was the Estates Manager. For nearly twenty years he resided at the Dronfield homestead.
Ormiston was the Officer Commanding Kimberley Regiment from 1 June 1925 to 1 July 1929. In 1932 was appointed Brigade Commander of the Cape Brigade with the rank of Colonel, and in World War II was OC Troops Potchefstroom. By 1942 was the Officer Commanding EP Command.
He was appointed Honorary Colonel of the Kimberley Regiment in June 1961.
He died in Kimberley on 21 September 1961 and is buried in the Kenilworth cemetery.
Pictured is Colonel Ormiston and his headstone in Kenilworth cemetery.