UPDATE: 28/03/2022 – 13:56
SUBJECT: IMMEDIATE CLOSURE OF THE R31 PROVINCIAL ROAD – BETWEEN MIDDELPOS AND DANIELSKUIL TURN OFF
During the past few days Kimberley and the surrounding areas received incessant rainfall. Consequently the low laying area between Koopmansfontein and Middelpos is flooded. Vehicles are still passing through the flooded section at a reduced speed.
For the safety of all road users and to safeguard the transportation of goods, the Department of Roads and Public Works is forced to close the R31 road between Koopmansfontein and Middelpos with immediate effect.
The detours are as follows:
1. To Kuruman from Kimberley is to travel on the N12 to Warrenton, Jan Kempdorp, Taung, Vryburg then to Kuruman.
2. From Postmasburg to Kimberley: Take the R325 to Griekwastad (55km of gravel road), then join the N8 to Kimberley
3. From Lime acres to Kimberley: take R385 to Campbel (69km of gravel road), then join N8.
The department instituted the following mitigating strategies:
• Warning signs have been erected and road users are encouraged to use the detour
• The Department of Transport, Safety and Liaison and traffic officers are on site to assist with redirecting the traffic.
The Department will conduct a comprehensive assessment in terms of the damage which will inform our maintenance strategy. Furthermore the Department dispatched a monitoring team and we will communicate with members of the public as the nature of the situation changes.
Issued by Porchia Sololo Office of the MEC Communications