Conflict between Illegal Miners and KEM-JV Ramps Up
Illegal miners marched to the Transvaal Road Police Station and the Kimberley Magistrate’s Court yesterday morning after the arrest of two of their leaders on Tuesday . Lucky Seekoei, the chairperson of the Kimberley Artisanal Mine Workers, and his co accused Tebogo Taku face charges or trespassing and was released after bail of R2000 was granted.
After his release Lucky Seekoei addressed hundreds of illegal miners protesting in the area. Seekoei said that the police can no longer be trusted and accused the police of being in collusion with KEM-JV.
KEM-JV spokesperson, Gert Klopper, stated yesterday that several charges were laid against illegal minders after the latest protest actions. According to Klopper protesters attacked a truck on Tuesday, smashed the windows and punctured the tires. A patrol vehicle was also pelted with bricks on Wednesday, damaging the vehicle and injuring an employee. Various KEM-JV fences was cut and a guardhouse was torched.
As it happenedUpdate 15:15 13/09/2017: Reports on social media state that the riots have moved back to the Police Station in Phakamile Mabija Road (old Transvaal road).
Update 11:26 13/09/2017: Reports on social media state that the riots have now moved to the court near the Post Office, CBD area.
Riots in front of Transvaal Road Police station (Phakamile Mabija Dr.) reportedly by Zama Zamas (Illegal Miners). Please avoid area if possible.
— Puleng Modupe (@pulengmodupe) September 13, 2017
- KimberleyToday, Friday 20/07/2018 - July 20, 2018
- KimberleyToday, Thursday 19/07/2018 - July 19, 2018
- KimberleyToday, Wednesday 18/07/2018 - July 18, 2018
- KimberleyToday, Tuesday 17/07/2018 - July 17, 2018
- KimberleyToday, Monday 16/07/2018 - July 16, 2018
- KimberleyToday, Sunday 15/07/2018 - July 15, 2018
- KimberleyToday, Friday 13/07/2018 - July 13, 2018
- KimberleyToday, Thursday 12/07/2018 - July 12, 2018
- Kimberley Complete Shut Down Strike – 12/07/2018 - July 12, 2018
- KimberleyToday, Wednesday 11/07/2018 - July 11, 2018