The Northern Cape MEC for Health, Mr Lebogang Motlhaping wish to advise members of the public and all our partners in the public health of the devastating fire that occurred during the night of the 24th October 2017, between 23h00-00h00 at Galeshewe Day Hospital in Kimberley.
The matter is still under investigation and further details thereof will be made known after a report has been received from the South African Police Services. The total cost of the damage is projected at over R16 million.
The areas mostly affected by the fire, among others include records management and frontline services, maternity services, mother and child, acute and chronic, dental care and allied health services. The pharmaceutical services are not affected but patients’ files were destroyed and this makes it difficult to trace patients’ medical records, at this stage.
At the time of the fire, there were five maternity cases who were admitted and were immediately referred to Kimberley Hospital for further management.
A short term management plan has been developed and is being implemented to ensure the smooth running of healthcare services without any hindrance. The short term management includes the screening of patients’ personal information and referral to the surrounding Primary Health Care facilities such as Florianville, Masakhane, Betty Gaetsewe, Mapule Matsepane and City Clinic in the Sol-Plaatjie Municipality. These patients will be attended to at these facilities until services are brought to normality, which might take approximately three weeks.
MEC Motlhaping wish to appeal to members of the public and our patients to exercise patience whilst the Department is getting the services back on track and further apologise for the inconvenience caused.
Statement issued by: Mr Lebogang Majaha
Media Liaison Officer
Office of the MEC for Health
Northern Cape Province
- KimberleyToday, Friday 20/07/2018 - July 20, 2018
- KimberleyToday, Thursday 19/07/2018 - July 19, 2018
- KimberleyToday, Wednesday 18/07/2018 - July 18, 2018
- KimberleyToday, Tuesday 17/07/2018 - July 17, 2018
- KimberleyToday, Monday 16/07/2018 - July 16, 2018
- KimberleyToday, Sunday 15/07/2018 - July 15, 2018
- KimberleyToday, Friday 13/07/2018 - July 13, 2018
- KimberleyToday, Thursday 12/07/2018 - July 12, 2018
- Kimberley Complete Shut Down Strike – 12/07/2018 - July 12, 2018
- KimberleyToday, Wednesday 11/07/2018 - July 11, 2018