Header
Latest News
Home / Historical / TODAY IN KIMBERLEY’S HISTORY 12 AUGUST
Amphibic Design - Websites - Graphibic Design
Today in Kimberley's History

TODAY IN KIMBERLEY’S HISTORY 12 AUGUST

UPDATED: 12/08/2019

12 August 1952, Olympic gold medallist Esther Brand (pictured) has civic reception at city hall and is given a another gold medal by the Mayor.

DID YOU KNOW

PT-Esther_Brand-1952

Esther Brand

Namibia’s capital Windhoek has a suburb (Olympia) where many of the streets are named in honour of South African Olympic gold medallists or world record holders.

Three such streets are named after Kimberley sporting heroes – Bevil Rudd, Esther Brand and Karen Muir.

Bevil Rudd (1894-1948) was born in Kimberley. He won the gold medal for the 400 metres at Antwerp in 1920. He also held the world record for the 440 yards in 1921.

PT-Street_named_after_Bevil_Rudd_and_Esther_Brand-1894

Streets named after Esther Brand and Bevil Rudd

Esther Brand (1922-2015) was living in Kimberley when she won the high jump at the Helsinki Olympics in 1952.

PT-Street_named_after_Karin_Muir-1952

Street named after Karin Muir.

Karen Muir (1952-2013) was born in Kimberley. On 10 August 1965 she became the youngest person (at 12 years 10 months and 25 days) to break a world record in any discipline. She would hold 15 world records by the time she retired.

12 August 1952, Olympic gold medallist Esther Brand has civic reception at city hall and is given a another gold medal by the Mayor.

DID YOU KNOW

Adjacent to the Kimberley City Hall is what was originally known as the Market House (aka the Market Shelter), and later known as the Farmer’s Market and then the Indian Market, where fresh fruit and vegetables were sold daily.

PT-Pictured_with_the_Red_Roof_is_the_Market_Shelter_next_to_the_City_Hall-1952

Pictured with the red roof is the Market Shelter next to the City Hall

The original steel framed roofing and cast iron ornamental columns still exist, the outer walls being added in the 1980s when the (mainly) Indian traders were forced to relocate to the market on Pniel Road. Legend has it that the entire structure was delivered to the wrong Kimberley, and should have been delivered to Kimberley in Australia. It was decided that it was easier to leave the structure here, as it was cheaper to make a new one and ship it to the correct address!

However, it is only a legend and the truth is that it was designed by the Borough Engineer of the then Kimberley Corporation in 1907, the original drawing being in the Kimberley City Engineers Department.

PT-Market_Shelter-1952

Old Market Shelter, now the Indian Centre

(Pictured with the red roof is the Market Shelter in earlier days, next to the City Hall, and also how it looks today.)

From Kimberley Calls and Recalls on Facebook By Steve Lunderstedt

Aeon Computer Kimberley

About Steve Lunderstedt

x

Check Also

PT-Kimberley_Club_after_1895_fire

TODAY IN KIMBERLEY’S HISTORY 11 OCTOBER

UPDATED: 11/10/2019 11 October 1895, The second fire to destroy the Kimberley ...

PT-Masonic_Temple-1888

TODAY IN KIMBERLEY’S HISTORY 10 OCTOBER

10 October 1873, Rhodes begins studying at Oxford University. 10 October 1888, ...

Website by amphibic.design