Header
Latest News
Home / Historical / TODAY IN KIMBERLEY’S HISTORY 24 FEBRUARY
Amphibic Design - Websites - Graphibic Design
Massive Storm hits Kimberley - Photo by Jolandy Dimond

TODAY IN KIMBERLEY’S HISTORY 24 FEBRUARY

PT-Finsch_Mine-1967

Finsch Mine officially opened in 1967

24 February 1944, Master Builders Association of Kimberley re-constituted.
24 February 1967, Finsch Mine officially opened by Dr T E Donges.
24 February 2015, Massive storm hits Kimberley – 100 mm of rain in less than an hour.

MASTER BUILDERS ASSOCIATION FORMED
A meeting was held at 20h00 on Thursday February 24 1944 in the Council Chamber of the City Hall Kimberley, at which it was resolved that “a Master Builders’ and Allied Trades Association be formed in Kimberley”, the resolution being proposed by Mr A Hodgetts and seconded by Mr H.A. Armstrong. It was also agreed that “the Secretary request the assistance of the National Federation of the Master Builders’ Association of South Africa, in the organization of this association and hereby apply for affiliation.”

A further meeting was held on August 3 1944, where Mr J.W. Coppenhagen, the Labour Inspector, and Mr H.T. Bohnen of the Labour Department were present, it was agreed unanimously that “an association be brought into being immediately and that this body be named, Kimberley Builders and Allied Trades Employers’ Association”, and “that the area to be governed by this body be the municipal area of Kimberley.” It was also agreed to co-operate with the Builders Workers Union and/or other bodies with a view to obtaining the appointment of a Conciliation Board for the building industry in Kimberley. Mr W.S. Dickerson of the Labour Department was thanked for drawing up the draft Constitution – applicable to a body of Building employers – and which was unanimously accepted by the meeting.

On October 9 1944 Mr J.C. Varrie was elected Chairman and Mr G.A. (Jos) Verheyen the Vice Chairman. Mr D.P. Veary was appointed Secretary – at a salary of ₤7 and 7 shillings per month, plus cost of living allowance. It is worth recording the members that comprised that first committee, and whom they represented: H.A. Armstrong (Electrical interests); F.T. Hendrickse (Building); A.H. Hodgetts (Timber); W. Henderson (Painting); V.A. Norton (Plumber); V.A.C. Barnes (Electrical); and P.W. Dobson (Building). Mr J. Michael was co-opted after H.A. Armstrong turned down his election. The association had been re-started on a sound business principle and began operating immediately. The other important matter of those early meetings was that an account be opened at the Standard Bank of South Africa, Limited.

 

From Kimberley Calls and Recalls on Facebook By Steve Lunderstedt

Aeon Computer Kimberley

About Steve Lunderstedt

x

Check Also

TODAY IN KIMBERLEY’S HISTORY 15 OCTOBER

15 October 1880, Griqualand West incorporated into the Cape Colony. 15 October ...

TODAY IN KIMBERLEY’S HISTORY 14 OCTOBER

UPDATED: 14/10/2020 14 October 1899, The siege of Kimberley begins. It will ...

Website by amphibic.design