12 February 1872, Seat of Magistracy for Pniel District moved from Dutoitspan to New Rush.
12 February 1872, William Coates Palgrave appointed ARM for Beaconsfield.
12 February 1876, Telegraph office opens in Kimberley.
12 February 1880, SA cricketer William Shalders (pictured) born.
12 February 1880, The Porter Rhodes diamond weighing 153.5 carats discovered in the Kimberley Mine.
DID YOU KNOW
The longest serving owners and landlords of The Half were John and Emily Shalders, parents of the Springbok cricketer William Alfred Shalders. They owned the business from 1884 until it was sold in 1925 to Thomas Laity, so were the owners when it moved to its present position in 1897.
When sold by the Shalders in 1925 to Thomas Laity, The Half was a going concern, a well-known hostelry built of solid burnt brick, with spacious well-equipped bar and boasting a large sitting and dining rooms. Airy and lofty bedrooms, a self-contained cottage next door, all with sewerage facilities installed and electrical fittings, a commodious compound plus a bar license with full privileges were advertised for the sale.
An Old Boy of Kimberley Boys High School, William Alfred Shalders died at Cradock, Cape Province, March 18, 1917. He was born in Kimberley on 12 February 1880 and played for both Griqualand West and Transvaal as well as playing for South Africa in 12 Test matches against England and Australia. His first test was in South Africa in 1899, and he was a member of the South African teams that came to England in 1904 and 1907. Without being one of the stars of the famous South African side in 1907, Shalders was a very useful bat. He played an innings of 108 against Hampshire, and came out sixth on the list for the whole tour, getting 747 runs in 22 matches, with an average of just under 22. His best scores in the three Test Games were 31 and not out 24 at the Oval. For the 1904 team he had an excellent record, scoring 842 runs and averaging 27. As his biggest innings was 81 his figures meant very consistent work.