Kimberley has 158 haunted houses and buildings with well over 200 still to be verified by paranormal experts, but you’ll visit ones known to have resident ghosts.
In the historic Africana library, the restless spirit of the first librarian roams. He drank arsenic after he was found doctoring the accounts. Many visitors have seen books inexplicably crashing to the floor, and heard teacups tinkling at 4pm.
At Rudd House, a lady in white appears on the balcony; the former sick room is haunted by Percy Rudd the first owner; and the servants’ quarters have at least six ghosts in the courtyard.
On a Kimberley ghost tour you’ll also visit the beautiful old Kimberley Club, where a ghostly waiter serves in the dining room, an elderly man walks the upstairs passage, and a woman in period dress stands on the staircase.
In the old De Beers boardroom, an unknown ghost drifts by as lights swing mysteriously, and a ghost dog emits an ethereal howl on the porch. On occasion, balls of fire have dropped from the porch ceiling.
At the William McGregor Museum, once a nunnery, a phantom nun wanders, while at the Terry Hall of Militia, a baby’s wail can be heard as the lid of a tin trunk mysteriously opens and closes.
And if you visit the Magersfontein Anglo-Boer battlefield on a moonlit night you may well hear a phantom Scottish piper and see the flickering ghostly lanterns of the stretcher-bearers – over 50% of visitors claim they have.
- KIMBERLEY SHUTDOWN – HOW WE GOT HERE - July 20, 2018
- THE NORTHERN CAPE WILL BE THE HARDEST HIT BY CLIMATE CHANGE - June 29, 2018
- Community Leader Replies to ANC Statement on Sol Electricity Tariffs - June 28, 2018
- Water Outage & Water Restoration Tips - March 24, 2018
- Piet Els Farm Attack Latest Coverage & Updates - January 24, 2018
- Die Gariep Kunstefees sê Koebaai - January 22, 2018
- Sol Plaatje Municipality Mayoral Councillors stop Royldene Park Fence - December 5, 2017
- ANC members to challenge Northern Cape leadership - November 6, 2017
- SOL PLAATJE TO HOST 2018 SANDF ARMED FORCES DAY - November 2, 2017
- Sports star never gives up on goals - October 26, 2017