KIMBERLEY: CITY OF FIRSTS
THE FIRST Private Postal Delivery Service.
THE FIRST professional training of nurses.
THE FIRST drive-in bar.
THE FIRST city in the Southern Hemisphere to install electric street lighting on 2nd September 1882. The electric lights of Kimberley came on before those of London.
THE FIRST Stock Exchange in South Africa.
THE FIRST hotel with electricity.
THE FIRST to win the Rugby Currie Cup.
THE FIRST public flight in the first South African built aircraft.
THE FIRST airplane accident.
THE FIRST airplane purchased by the South African Government.
THE FIRST ten pilots in the South Africa Defence Force.
THE FIRST pilots in the South African Aviation Corps.
THE FIRST Industrial Council.
THE FIRST diamond cutting factory.
THE FIRST woman to play tennis without stockings at Wimbledon.
THE FIRST official airport safety regulations.
THE FIRST airport to install lighting equipment.
THE FIRST night landing by a pilot.
THE FIRST airport to offer 24 hour services.
THE FIRST municipal rest house and aerodrome in Africa.
THE FIRST National Air Rally.
THE FIRST South African Museums Conference.
THE FIRST South Africa Museums Association constituted.
THE FIRST female municipal traffic wardens.
THE FIRST State School for paraplegics.
THE FIRST state school for physically disabled.
THE FIRST twelve year old to hold a world record in swimming.
THE FIRST Commando Training Unit.
THE FIRST nation wide direct dialling telephones.
THE FIRST woman judge: Miss Justice Leonora van de Heever.
THE FIRST housing scheme, Ipopeng in Galeshewe, for black employees.
THE FIRST remote controlled ore trains in underground operations.
THE FIRST The first South African to be elected to the world swimming hall of fame – Karen Muir.
THE FIRST elected black town council: Galeshewe in South Africa. (30/11/1983).
THE FIRST coloured priest to become a bishop.
THE FIRST manufacture of self propelled overhead irrigation pivots in South Africa.
THE FIRST City Council to amalgamate all group areas..
- THE NORTHERN CAPE WILL BE THE HARDEST HIT BY CLIMATE CHANGE - June 29, 2018
- Community Leader Replies to ANC Statement on Sol Electricity Tariffs - June 28, 2018
- Water Outage & Water Restoration Tips - March 24, 2018
- Piet Els Farm Attack Latest Coverage & Updates - January 24, 2018
- Die Gariep Kunstefees sê Koebaai - January 22, 2018
- Sol Plaatje Municipality Mayoral Councillors stop Royldene Park Fence - December 5, 2017
- ANC members to challenge Northern Cape leadership - November 6, 2017
- SOL PLAATJE TO HOST 2018 SANDF ARMED FORCES DAY - November 2, 2017
- Sports star never gives up on goals - October 26, 2017
- Witness testifies against Sol Plaatje municipality - October 23, 2017