11 January 1916, 24 recently planted trees destroyed on Main Rd Beaconsfield.
11 January 1965, Body of five-year-old girl recovered from Otto’s Kopje mine.
DID YOU KNOW
The affluent suburb of Monument Heights is where the Kimberley Golf Club (KGC) had its humble beginnings in 1890. The very first clubhouse was a disused laundry and in 1901 a new clubhouse was built near the Honoured Dead Memorial, at what is now the MOTH Centre.
The pioneers of golf in Kimberley were David Skirving (first club captain) and Stephen Stokes (honorary secretary) who approached John Blades Currey of the London and South African Exploration Company to ask for land for this purpose. The company owned most of the property in the area and Currey gladly conceded that the links be constructed between the Halfway House and the race course (opposite the Diamond Pavilion).
A committee was formed even before the first meeting was held in the Queens Hotel, with Currey serving as president of the club until he left Kimberley. The fairways and greens were not as lush as those at St Andrews, but served the purpose. The fairways were cleared of bushes and the greens were actually browns, consisting of sand. Later the greens became “blues” as washed kimberlite gravel was utilized.
It was decided early on that juniors would play at half price and women were allowed to play free of charge, but were not allowed to play on Wednesdays, Saturdays or match days.
In 1892 Kimberley hosted the South African and International Exhibition and KGC was encouraged to organise a golf championship which included players from across the country. In 1897 Cecil John Rhodes presented a trophy to the club and the annual competition for the Rhodes Challenge continues to this day.
Grass was never an option because of the climate and scarcity of water, until it was decided in 1912 to plant patches of grass on the course, but it was only in selected areas that the grass was to be seen.
In 1907 it became clear that the KGC needed a larger clubhouse, £650 had been pledged by members and £350 by De Beers. Daniel W. Greatbatch designed the structure free of charge and the contractors were Harris and Sanderson who completed the task for the price of £963. It was officially opened by C.E. Nind on 1 January 1908 and consisted of a large hall, ladies room, tearoom, lavatory, store room, professionals work room, kitchen and caretakers living room.
The Women’s Golf Club was also founded in 1908 and they had their own nine-hole course which linked up to the bottom end of the regular course. In October 1920, the Women’s Golf Club amalgamated with the KGC and formed the Women’s section.
After the game of dominoes was introduced, it became very popular and eventually went hand in hand with golf. Players would spend the day on the links and the evening at the Queen’s Hotel to play dominoes. It was said that “a golfer’s invitation to join a four ball rested to a large extent on that golfer’s ability to play dominoes”. It became so popular that an extra room was added to the clubhouse to accommodate players.
The KGC in 1951 began looking at the idea of establishing a golf course with grass-covered fairways and greens. The clubhouse on the new 220 acre site was designed by Cliff Timlin and work on the course began in 1958. The course was designed by golf architect Robert Grimsdell, a Delville Wood survivor.
The last competition was played on the old course on 10 April 1960 before the club officially moved to the current course.
(Story from the Noordkaap Koerant, with a few additions).
Aerial photograph of 1932 shows the original Kimberley golf course club house and the 1st and 18th holes, as well as the area surrounding the Honoured Dead Memorial. One can see the new Bishop’s Hostel as well as the old Bishop’s Hostel directly behind it.
Nothing has been found yet on this day in Kimberley’s history. Assuredly there is something….research continues.
DID YOU KNOW
From a Siege of Kimberley Diary kept by Winifred Heberden, the wife of Dr GA “Jack” Heberden.
Jan 11th 1900. I went to the inspection of the gun at the ‘Stone Crusher Fort’, riding on Jack’s steady old charger, as the climb up was rather steep. This gun, being placed on such a high Debris Heap, commands a wide range of country looking towards Felstead’s Farm, Dronfield, Intermediate Station and the Waterworks. We saw through a telescope the Boer Laager of tents and wagons between Dronfield and the Intermediate. Cape Police are in charge of the gun we inspected.
We returned through the old Mounted Camp ground and saw the improvements in drainage and gravelling they are making for the reception of the troops again. Afterwards we went on to De Beers‘ Workshops to look at the big gun being made under Mr Labram’s directions.
They were boring it at the time, and as it slowly revolved in a horizontal position one could see what a big fellow he is. The length is about 10 foot, and the weight of the shells about 28.5 lbs. Next week it is to be finished. The carriage for it is made of iron also. The calibre of the gun is 4.1 inches. Between 30 and 40 men are engaged on it, and it will cost between £800 and £1000, which includes the extra wages to the men.
Close by the Workshops is the Cold Storage place, recently finished and capable of taking quite 500 carcasses. It will also be useful for storing frozen meat after communication by rail is opened up. There is a reserve of meat already in store in case anything happens to the last of our live-stock.
Jan 12th 1900. Our Relief Column is still at Modder River and have occasional skirmishes with the enemy. We suppose they are waiting for Lord Roberts and reinforcements – so possess our souls in patience still.
We hear today that poor little Kuruman has had to surrender after a whole day’s fighting against the Boers, who had returned after being beaten before, with a big gun, and the weak defences of the place were unable to withstand a bombardment. Captain Bates, the ‘Jameson Raid’ man, who cut the wires and fences then, was taken prisoner; and also our old friend Mr Hilliard, the Magistrate, amongst them. The fight took place on New Year’s Day, and is one of the pluckiest incidents of this part of the country.